Friday, April 2, 2010

Spring (First Try) -- Pencil





While on wasp patrol outside (this time of year they are trying to nest every where), I decided to draw my pear tree, which I have wanted to do since it started blooming. Lacking time and desire to put in every detail, I drew it loosely (while keeping eye out for wasps to spray). The big white blooms are really groups of  four or more blooms, and the tree is covered in small new  leaves. I am enjoying this  warm weather here in the southern U.S.,  but it will not last.  This is just the first try at Spring. We usually have one or two hard freezes here before May that either kills the blooms or fruit of my peach and pear tree. Thus, we only get fruit about every third year. This was an enjoyable project to do, because I have always wanted to sit on my front porch and sketch.

9 comments:

  1. Even if there is no color in this drawing, I can see the spring. I like the line of pencil!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trees are the hardest thing to draw (along with horses, they leave me at a complete loss...!). Yours is wonderful though- I adore the oversized blossoms and the spring-like feel of this sketch. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love to sit outside and capture the beauty that surrounds me, although I seldom get the opportunity. Kudo's to you for taking the time to do so and coming up with a grand drawing. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have the same problem with wasps!! My husband has killed more than fifty already...trying to nest on our back deck. I hate hate hate wasps!! Delightful sketch! The guy has a tree just like this down the street. Now that I know what it is...I'll be looking for pears! Maybe he'll trade for some of my oranges!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh to have a porch to sit on! LOL Mine is too small to hold a chair. That said, I must say I couldn't do any kind of plant the justice you gave this beauty! I love how those branches grow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great drawing. After years, at last we had four pears on the tree this year - but one night the possums ate them all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVELY! Most of my sketches are without colors because it leaves space for imagination and usually the image is more lasting without colors too. But of course I love colors, that's why I sometimes combine them both... it's always hard for me to decide...color or no color. I am glad you did this the way it is, because it's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful pear tree!! Good luck with the wasps!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are a really good sketcher. Love what you have done.

    ReplyDelete