Saturday, April 10, 2010

Art Is Where You Find It -- Pencil

When you start sketching, you do not think about it taking you in directions you never imagined. I never expected to be drawing shoes. Even though the Everyday Matters group has a drawing prompt (#1) for a shoe, I had never had a desire to draw one. A couple of weeks ago after I finished a sketch, I happened to see a shoe on the floor. Immediately I was enraptured by the angles and sculptural qualities of the shoe, and I had to sketch it. Above is the result.

Later I saw another shoe that had even more angles and curves (and texture!) than the first shoe, and I had to draw it. This shoe is so silver and shiny  in places that it ought to be painted so it could appear in all its glory. I opted here just to leave the lighter parts white and all the rest in its various shades of darker gray. So, I hope you enjoyed my journey into shoe art. There may be more, because if I have learned anything from this is that art is where you find it (or it finds you).

14 comments:

  1. Excellent drawings Ramona. And I know what you mean - I don't care that much what I draw, just so I draw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. there's a lot of good drawing strokes here in the second shoe...contour lines, cross hatching and the shading is done very very well. Pat yourself on the back Ramona....you've done an awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, indeed - super job on these kicks! The second one is especially good, I think. nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to agree with you Ramona. Shoes are actually very nice to look at, and to draw. I never had the urges to draw them too until I saw those toe-shoes. But thank you for posting this, I really feel like drawing some shoes later...simply because I DO have many of them ^^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect Ramona! Now you've inspired me too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! Ramona: I must ask - Don't Shoot Me! Please! I just got back from Boston and the Dick Blick store. Boy! was I surprised the Store has been restocked except for the Water Colour Blocks Nonexistent in the store. So, I got the next best stuff for studying. Any How, Your shoes are Wonderful! Love the texture. Did you get the idea from Dick Blick?
    See why I ask? http://www.dickblick.com/products/blick-studio-drawing-pencils/
    Yours are Better.

    Sherrie Roberts

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous shoe drawings - your lines are so clean!! I love sketching shoes and boots of my grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your shoes. Very inspiring post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great shoes. I wouldn't think to draw shoes either unless it was for a challenge or I was stuck in a car with nothing else to draw which is what I did!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job!! Shoes are difficult (to me)...keeping the proportions correct, and then all those little bits overlapping! You did a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great drawings! I know what you mean. Once you start drawing then you begin looking at everything as a potential subject.

    ReplyDelete