Thursday, April 15, 2010

Flower in a Glass Bottle -- Pencil


This one was inspired by a picture I saw in a calendar. Often I can sketch the picture exactly as it is with no changes or additions,  and it looks OK. Other times I have to play with the sketch for the pencil version to look right. Here I had to play with the flower and the shadows in the drawing for it to feel right. In the picture the flower was partially closed, and the shadows would not work out right. I redrew it open, adjusted the shadows, and things started to come together better.

12 comments:

  1. Ah yes, the flower in the glass bottle dilemma - the thing is, you handled it beautifully! nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. It turned out really good! :) I really could see the petals popping out layers by layers, and the work done on the bottle is beautiful too!
    Thanks for your comments on my kitten Ramona. Hopefully someday I'll draw him when he's a lazy fat cat ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really good, the glass, the petals with all the shading and the stem in the water with the optical illusion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is very nicely done! The shadow looks great and I like the overall composition.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, very nice! I love all those perky flower petals!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's lovely. You did a great job giving depth to the flower!
    Love your shoes drawings, too, very cool!
    And a little below, your drawing of a red rose is gorgeous! Beautiful, simple and elegant like the original flower!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ramona,
    enjoyed the pictures...

    the selection of subjects is fantastic and beautiful...

    congratulations...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this turned out great, Ramona! I think you creatively turned this into something you could use!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good work on the glass and shadows. I think you can make this into a nice card.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you did à great job on this one, and I really Love your shoes from the previous post. It is so true what you say - art is where you find it! Isn't that what being an artist is really about? Finding the art rather Tham just doing the art? At least part of it.

    ReplyDelete